Monday, December 15, 2014

Monday - Jiu Jitsu in My Sleep

Soooooo....it turns out I do jiu jitsu in my sleep. It's possible that I was framing someone in the face that was next to me in the middle of the night. Oops.

My body felt fine, but apparently my brain was not all there for morning class. We were doing half guard sweeps from 93, and they were mostly ones that I haven't seen before (or have forgotten if I have). I was making a bunch of small mistakes, like gripping the fabric instead of using a monkey grip, not gripping the leg, etc.

Finally seemed to get it together, but none of the sweeps felt like I was doing them well.

Rolled with Sarah, Tyrone, Julio, James and big Mike. 

I think I was using my weight too much with Sarah. It's hard for me to tell if it's my technique, weight or both. It's probably both.

Tyrone said he wanted to do something a little different, so I tried to get in a passing position instead of a guard position immediately after the fist bump. I came close and had top turtle in a head-to-head position, but I lost it and he passed....right into my inverted triangle from bottom side. I had his far arm (which I usually never get) and he tapped. We restarted and I harassed him from guard (our normal roll) the rest of the round.

Julio accidentally smashed my jaw early on, but no real harm done. He passed my guard like butter and I was having a tough time in his side-control.

I tried again to get a sweep on James after he did a back-step, but I did quite a few things wrong and didn't get as close as I did yesterday. He gave me some advice after class and I'll give those a whirl next time.

Big Mike didn't have a lot of energy left, and I really, really did not want him to lay on top of me in side-control. I managed to stay in guard and work for chokes and taking the back. Never quite got to the back, but did ok otherwise.

No comments: