Saturday, December 20, 2014

Sat Fundies and Nooner

Rachael was back, so I had my preferred demo dummy for the Fundamentals class. Surprised with a good-sized turnout (8) before the holiday week. I'm pretty sure that I talk too fast and too much. I need to chill out a bit. Did the hip bump sweep, flower sweep and double-ankle sweep. It was gratifying to have a couple of guys say that the details I showed made the technique seem more effortless then when they've tried it before.

Had a nice mix of people for the noon class. About a third purple, a third blue and a third white.Technique was passing the seated guard, either by stepping in and back-stepping, or stepping to the side and spinning them down. These work fantastic in theory, but almost never during rolling (at least for me). We also did the very debasing pull-their-sleeves-up-and-shove-your-hips-in-their-face-and-slide-to-mount pass. 

Rolls with Rachael, Clayton, Tucker and Nick. I was able to get to Rachael's back with one hook in and spent the majority of the roll working to get the second hook in and harass for chokes. Came close on a bow and arrow variation, but couldn't finish and she defended well and was eventually able to get me off her back (though I quickly got back on). 

I was more competitive with Clayton than usual, though he still pretty much dominated the round. He had top position, but I was able to stay out of bad trouble and tried to work (unsuccessfully) from bottom half guard.

This was Tucker's third class (Fundies was his second) and he did well for it being his third class. I worked (predictably) from guard and did several catch-n-release submissions. Swept to mount, moved off to side-control, then let him finish from top side. He said at one point that he felt like he was mouse being toyed with by a cat. Made me chuckle. I told him that we all start out that way, and that's how I feel when I roll with James.

Nick has been working his spiderguard, which is good b/c not too many people play pure spiderguard at the gym. I totally forgot the defense that I was going to practice though, so I was stuck in it for awhile until I was able to get through his guard, pass to side control and tap with a kimura. Reset and he started his spiderguard again. I really need to figure what defense I'm going to use against that.

Feeling better about jiu jitsu, but body is dead tired. Hopefully I'll feel refreshed for drilling tomorrow. Looking forward to having a couple of days off next week.

No comments: