Thursday, December 26, 2013

Thursday Morning

Was feeling out of it emotionally and probably shouldn't have gone. However, I knew it was going to be my last chance for to roll with the valley guys for awhile, so I went anyway.

Flow drills from a side control escape to guard, other person passes, you escape again into top side-control. Repeat ad nauseum.

One particular detail that I picked up today was when doing the drive-the-bus escape from side-control, you can easily trap their arm over your shin if they post out to stop the escape. They kept referring to the drive-the-bus escape as the "harpoon sweep", which was putting me on mega tilt because you were initiating it from bottom side-control, not a guard position. Anyway... I was feeling every ounce of Gary's 200lb when he was doing the double-under stack pass.

Rolled with Gary and Damon. Felt like my roll with Gary went forever. I was going for an arm-drag to the back at one point and he just gave up his back. I called him on it, and he said he wanted to work his back escapes. I secured a bow and arrow for his trouble. Later on I was able to lock in and finish a triangle from guard. I'm getting a little better about securing posture first and then getting the leg positioning second.

I tried to work a bit of open guard and Damon immediately went for a foot lock. I did a pretty good job of defending, although if he had a mind to hip into it and arch his back I would have had to tap. He was purposefully letting me work my way out of it at one point. Later he got a knee-bar that he was able to finish. He went for a kimura that I was able to defend against. I take it as a compliment that he immediately goes for leg and foot locks against me as opposed to arm/shoulder locks or chokes.

Had a headache and was feeling so-so by the time class was over. Had planned on running a bunch of errands, but decided to go home and eat lunch and pound some water instead. I already promised several people that I'd be at class downtown tonight and I don't want to be exhausted, hungry and dehydrated before I get mauled again.

No comments: