Saturday, December 21, 2013

Open Guard All Day

Got to class an hour and a half early to work with James on DLR options. I feel like I've been stuck and only know how to do one thing from the position, which is the back-take. I was anticipating being able to spend time on guard passing too, but just working a few sweeps sucked up the hour pretty fast.

Small class today, which is to be expected with the holidays. We did even more open guard work...I was in heaven. This time we did a shin guard variation and used that to move to a tripod sweep or as a transition into X guard.

After technique we did two people down on the mat. Person off the wall tries to pass the guard, person on the mat tries to retain guard. Person on the mat stays down for 5min while they get a fresh opponent every minute. I remember enjoying this and doing well last time, but I bombed it today. I think I had too much technique in my head...plus I was tired.

After that I had rolls with Van, Brian and Jay and James. I was dog-tired by the end of the rolls. Was frustrated that I wasn't effectively using my techniques. I'll need to snag someone next week to drill them. Feeling old today.

No comments: