Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cold, With a Chance of Critical

12/7

It's still butt cold outside. Probably didn't get above 15F today, despite the fact that it was sunny. Weak sauce sun. Didn't want to venture out, but had to get in there b/c of the tournament next weekend. We had once guy from another gym and a guy with his kid who was doing his second or third class. Went over KOB, specifically transitioning from side-to-side. Then submissions: far side arm-bar, near side arm-bar and then pulling them to apply a mounted triangle.

Worked with Brian, who was from the other gym. Very nice guy, about my size and skill level. Good to work with, picked up and applied the details well.

Rolled with Brian, who is a technical and controlled. I don't remember the details of the roll, but I do remember that it was a decent back and forth. I think he had the upper hand, but I wasn't too far behind. Rolled with Levi, the son of the new guy. Kid was probably 12y/o, wasn't wearing a gi and had guillotines for days. If you got your head anywhere near his arm, he'd try to lock it in. Scary stuff.

Rolled with Russ, who got me with an ezekiel. I defended for awhile, but not very well. He was trying some new techniques, some of which had me flummoxed.

Roll with Manny that had some back and forth. I worked out of an escape into a triangle. I kept his posture broken but he wouldn't let me get the angle I needed to finish. Frustrated that I couldn't finish, but I should be happy with getting the angle.

I tried like hell to pass Jay's bottom half guard but never quite made it. I ended up sitting on his head a couple of times. Felt bad about that.

Overall I'm still not very happy about my game. I think I need to shake things up, but I'm not sure how. It could be due to the looming tournament, which tends to make me more critical than usual.

3 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Define "butt cold"

Relax On The Mat said...

I would be thrilled to see 20F. :D

SavageKitsune said...

That still doesn't involve butts.