Monday, February 23, 2015

Weekend

Didn't train on Friday morning b/c I felt like I might be getting sick. Took some supplements and sure enough, felt better on Saturday. I typically poo poo those types of remedies but taking the day off from training and supps seemed to do the trick.

There was a possibility that both my partner and my friend's mother were going to be watching me teach the next day, and I had a lovely anxiety dream on Friday night about it. A bunch of people showed up before class, then most of them left before warm-ups. I couldn't get my gi pants on, no one was listening to my instruction, etc., etc. Fortunately the reality turned out to be much better, as I had a huge class of 12 (huge for me) and I had no problem with my pants. Went over side-control escapes. I completely spaced one of the ones that I wanted to cover, but went over several others. 

For noon class James covered half guard sweeps. Drive the bus, twist sweep, take the back. Some great details on the back-take that will help with my 93 guard back-take. Several things I've been missing on that. I've been starting by getting them to my lower shoulder or bicep instead of on the top of my shoulder. I've also been pausing there before the shrug. The pause is killing me and allowing them to get the whizzer (in addition to shooting in low). I also always, always forget to widen their knee stance.

Rolls seemed to go ok on Saturday. Regular timed rolls, but you had to get mount or back-control to win. I got back-control on Rachael but no one else. No one got mount or my back. I felt ok with my rolls. Not spectacular, not awful. Better than how I felt about them on Wednesday.

Sunday advanced class was an even number of folks. I had watched quite a few grip breaking and passing vids from the Ryan Hall series in the hours before and had some things to try out. Some of them I liked (lapel grip break, spiderguard grip break) and some not so much (DLR hook removal, circling the shin in on RDLR). I did a little bit of standup with Russ and some of the half guard from Saturday.

Rolled with Russ, Chaz, Jason W. and Jason S. Felt ok about my rolls. 

1 comment:

SavageKitsune said...

Don't hate me for laughing about "I couldn't get my gi pants on".....