Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Weekend Classes

Saturday Fundamentals

8-10 attendees seems to be the norm, which is awesome. Covered attacks from mount. I was a little out of it from the previous week, but I think I did a decent job of teaching. Folks seemed to be getting a lot out of the details and general theory, so it was a good class.

After class, Tyrone told me that his daughter looks up to me as an inspiration, specifically that "girls can be as good as boys". Made my day.


Saturday Noon Class

I can't remember what was covered in class or the rolls. I think my rolls were so-so. I was tired by the end. I was behind on hydration and nutrition and it was becoming apparent. I did receive a red bar on my belt for teaching and a stripe. So there's that.


Sunday Advanced Class

Sunday was the first time I felt more like myself. I made a list of moves I wanted to drill and was able to fit them all in. James gave me a great detail on the split pass that I think is really, really going to help me from getting swept over to the side. I was going to work some L-guard from the previous week but completely forgot all of the techniques. Russ is working on guard maintenance and good defense from bottom side-control. I really like it.

Rolls were tough but I felt like I did ok. Chaz kicked my ass pretty good. I keep trying to take his advice to lead my passes with my hips, but his guard makes that very difficult. He often ends up passing me by sitting on top of me in a reverse halfguard and then going to leg locks. Can't remember much of my other rolls. James' knee is still in pretty sad shape, but I felt like I was legitimately doing some good stuff.

No comments: