Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Monday Night

Body and energy felt surprisingly good heading into evening class.

Technique consisted of take-downs of fake guard pulling and ankle picking. I was displeased to learn that I've been missing some key details, but better to learn this now than later. James had Cameron show a couple of his favorite, one of which involved diving for a single and the other taking back-control. 

KOTH, win by mount or sub. People competing at the local tournament this weekend had to stay down no matter what. I started off with Cameron, and we had a lengthy match but he eventually got me with a choke of some sort.

Rolled with Chuck, Nick and Arick. Was able to submit them all or get to mount. They're white belts (two of them almost blue), so I should be able to do that. Got into some trouble with Chuck, but managed to stay out of mount and eventually reverse. Nick went for an early footlock after I started in 50/50 and I was able to defend and get to mount. Can't remember the roll with Arick, other than I finished with a collar choke from guard.

I need to stop using my guard on white belts and move to pass or use a top game exclusively.

After class, Cameron went through an 8min gauntlet and went from green to blue belt for his 16th birthday. He had some tough folks to go through, with myself, Dennis and James at the end. Not that I was *that* tough of a challenge for him as he was able to get me into his guard, but whatever.

 

No comments: