Thursday, February 26, 2015

Wed Night

So I talked myself into going to the evening class, with the caveat that I would only do one roll at the end of class. I really, really have to be mindful of my body and take care of it.

So, I made it clear to Rachael and James at the beginning of class...I'm only doing one roll. No problem, they said.

Technique consisted of single leg defense to takedown, reverse scissor sweep and scissoring the leg if they hover above you in defense of the reverse scissor. Same thing if they're trying to pass your half guard and weave a hand in between your legs to block your hip.

Got some good pointers on the reverse scissor that will hopefully make it something that I'm more likely to use. I've had a helluva time loading people up without my leg collapsing (even during drilling) and I've known that it's a technique problem but haven't been able to figure what, exactly. I'm not sure that I addressed it completely last night, but I think I'm closer.

Time to roll and it's KOTH, win by mount or sub. James said that Rachael and I could start off by ourselves. Great, we'll do one roll and then I'll call it a night. So, we proceed to do one roll. For thirty minutes. 

Thirty minutes with Rachael is nothing like thirty minutes with Sarah. Midway through I was able to take her back and sink in and finish a RNC, which hasn't happened for a loooong time. Apparently I simultaneously had one of her arms trapped to the degree of it being close to an arm bar and I didn't even know it. I could have stopped rolling there, but no. So onwards we went, and I spent an uncomfortable amount of time in her bottom side-control. I finally escaped to a guard after who knows how long. 

I was trying to be mindful of points, but lost track pretty early on. Even if I don't know exact points, I think it's useful for competition prep to be mindful of things like "ok, i'm down a pass, need to get at least 3pts back". 

I hope I'm not overdoing it. Four classes already and the weekend seminar coming up with rolling starting on Friday night.

No comments: