Friday, February 21, 2014

You Smell Nice

I have this new thing where I can't fall asleep at night. Being off the routine for a week and not doing any sort of working out has really messed up my system. Even after Wed's class. Not cool. 

Today we worked half guard sweeps from both the 93 guard (twist sweep) and being smashed down (drive the bus, twist sweep and regaining guard if they sprawl their free leg. I worked with Kayla, who I met at the first women's open mat that I attended in Dec. She didn't have a gi, but that wasn't a problem as James showed modified grips for no gi when needed. In the midst of drilling, she said "You always smell nice!". That's an especially good thing to hear in jiu jitsu class. 

Rolled with Kayla, Dennis, Jason (b) and David. Another roll with Dennis after class. Kayla stood to pass my guard so I started to work my DLR. I think that's when our previous rolls from the open mat clicked for her, b/c she said "Oh, I remember this." I primarily worked transitions and even had a chance to use the technique of the day.

I don't remember much about the first roll with Dennis, except that I wasn't refacing very well from guard. I was getting my legs in bad positions which predictably led to passes. At one point he went for a sneaky arm-bar (I thought he was focusing on the other arm) and he came very close to finishing. He had top position most of the time. I went for the stupid inverted triangle (I can't help it) and a pretty useless choke from a bottom side position while he was in mid transition. I did get a pass (popped out his DLR hook and dove under the non-hooking leg), so there's that. Drilling paid off there.

Jason mauled me as usual. Started once with him in guard and once in his guard. Didn't matter. He got me with a wrist-lock from an omoplata position and generally had top position for the majority of the roll.

I had David's back for most of the roll but couldn't capitalize. I had a successful double-under pass, which may be the first time I've ever gotten that to work. Also had a deep triangle and am befuddled as to why I wasn't able to finish it.

The second roll with Dennis was awesome. Early on he was in my half guard and facing away from me. I got a hold of his top arm and used it to wriggle to his back, where I stayed for the rest of our roll. He almost popped me off a couple of times, but I was able to regain my hooks. He defended his neck really well though, and I didn't feel like I was ever in a good position to transition to anything else. That is one of the best experiences I've had in maintaining back mount.

There's an open mat that I really want to go to tonight but that would probably be too much for my recovering body. :( 

No comments: