Monday, February 10, 2014

Because You're Not a 15y/o Russian Figure Skater

Temps have climbed out of the subzero cellar, but it managed to dump a couple of inches during class. And now there's a flood warning through Saturday. Seriously?

James was feeling a bit goofy today. One of our warm-ups consisted of pulling our leg to our chest, and during this he mimed pulling his leg behind his head. Of course, several other people had to try it too, and I was reminded of the 15y/o Russian figure skater that blew everyone else off the ice in the Olympics last night. She was doing a straight legged spin while holding her other leg almost completely vertical to her chest. The mind boggles.

Today was some relatively basic back-takes from spiderguard. If they post, arm-bar. If they don't post, rotate them over into technical mount. Also the basic spiderguard sweep that looks deceptively easy. I might drill that next Sunday.

Rolls with Savannah, Julio, Jordan (twice), James and Julio again after class. I did a relatively good job of establishing a push pull and grips to prevent Savannah from passing. We had several scrambles, and I was on top several times. I felt like I was brute forcing some things though, so tried to stop doing that. She got one complete pass and was close on several others.

I tried and tried and tried to use the spiderguard sweep on Julio to no avail. I also set up the leg lasso, but when he stood up I was in mortal danger of a footlock. I'm sure there's something I should be doing as he transitions to standing, but I couldn't noodle it. I bailed on the leg lasso. I also tried the sweep with absolutely no luck. He passed several times and I ended up fighting off an arm-triangle for what seemed several minutes.

I worked from guard with Jordan. I did many catch and release arm-bars and triangles. I swept to mount, tried to secure an omoplata from there (I really have no idea why, just b/c I could) and let it go back into guard. Afterwards, I gave him some tips on what to do when he's in someone else's guard. I rambled so long that we missed our opportunity to pair up with other people, so we rolled again. He did a better job of keeping his elbows tighter to his body when he was in guard.

I knew James was going to go for his modified bolo, and sure enough, that's the first thing he did. Dang it. He got me around but at least I didn't give him my back. He eventually got me with an arm-bar. I was working my ass off to get sweeps or at least come up on top when we were both in a neutral position and I couldn't do jack. He bolo'd me several more times and I kept him off my back but he went right to a tight leg drag. I was able to stave off submissions for the rest of round. Overall I don't feel like I did very well.

Another roll with Julio after class. We were going at it pretty good as well. I was fighting to get top positions that I couldn't quite establish. He got me with several wrist-locks. The setups were a little different than what we usually do. 

No comments: