Saturday, February 1, 2014

Berimbolo Against My Will

James is at a tournament in Oregon with a small group of our team, so Antone ran class. As usual, when James isn't teaching, attendance falls in the toilet. Antone, myself and Ryan were there for all of class. Manny and Xavier arrived about a half hour into it, and Chris left after 45min or so. 

We started with flow rolling, and then Antone showed a tripod sweep to berimbolo combination. We drilled that quite a bit, and Manny helped me with just getting the bolo down from a loose 50/50 position. I've been resisting the urge to work on anything bolo related save for a defense or two, but today I just couldn't help myself.

Flow rolled with Chris, Antone and Ryan several times. Regular rolls with Ryan, Manny and Antone. Antone and I had a longish roll at the end, probably 15-20min. There were a few points where I had a difficult time judging if he was giving me the position or if I was earning it. I think I surprised him a few times, so I'm happy with that. He did that obnoxious kimura thing where he gets me positioned in such a way that he can just lift my arm up my back and I'm screwed. He doesn't even need to get the traditional grips for the kimura.

Manny and I had a fun roll. He was in top position for the most part, but I was doing a decent job of defending his submission attempts and staying out of really bad positions. 

I don't miss the stress of travelling, but I am a little bummed that I'm not competing with the team. 


No comments: