Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday Morning

In addition to being really cold, it snowed last night too. I'm really looking forward to seeing 20F again.

Half guard passes today (assuming your opponent has a 93 guard) into a sortof kesa gatame. This was a different approach than I've seen before, and I was having a bit of hard time getting it to all work together. From the kesa gatame variation there's a wrist lock. If they get their arm all the way out, teabag them and go to s-mount for wrist-locks, straight arm-bar or americana on far arm or arm-bar near arm. We also used the teabagged position to roll them up and take the back. Lots of knowledge bombs dropping all over the place.

Rolls with Savannah, Jason (b), Tyrone and Jordan. Savannah is really, really good at the knee cut through pass. I fended it off for awhile and was able to reverse. Later on during a scramble she got the knee cut through pass position again and was able to complete it. 

Jason and I had a fairly competitive roll. He got my back at one point after a rolling back attack, but was I was able to get out of it and attempt a pass on top when time was called. He's working leg drag passes and they are very, very tight. It's amazing how everyone's passing game seems to have gone up several notches of late.

Tyrone made another comment about triangles today. I wasn't purposefully going for them, but he got stuck in a couple anyway. I wasn't going all out to finish them, but moved on to arms for arm-bars and omoplatas. He was able to yank his arm right out of several arm-bars, so I'm doing something wrong when I'm transition into the arm-bar and not securing the arm or breaking posture or...something.

Jordan is new and has been training for a couple of weeks. I worked primarily from guard, looking for sweeps and doing a fair amount of catch and release. Worked top mount, top side, really just trying to transition around a fair amount and let him get a feel of different positions.

Talked to James briefly at the end of class about the fundamentals class. He asked me how I planned on running it, and seemed open to whatever ideas I had as long as I had some sort of plan. Looks like we'll start doing it when he gets back from Vegas (mid-March). So now I need to come up with a plan... 

No comments: