Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Wednesday Morning

It is damned cold outside. Wind chill last night was around -15F. Not ok.

Today was a dose of attacks using the leg lasso. (Is there such thing as an arm lasso? Whizzer?) So...anyway, leg lasso. I felt good with all of them, except for one of the sweeps. There's an option to backroll into a KOB on their far-side instead of just dumping them over into side-control. I could NOT noodle how to initiate the backroll for myself. I probably won't pursue it for the time being.

I was drilling with someone who shall remain nameless, and noticed his fingernails and toenails were waaaaaay too long. I was on the fence about saying anything, but they were so long that I was truly concerned for the rest of us. So I mentioned to him quietly before rolling that it would be appreciated if he trimmed them back. I was secretly hoping he'd do it before we rolled, but he didn't. James keeps clippers at the gym, but he probably didn't know that. 

Rolls with Nate, Dennis, Tyrone, Jason (b), Antone. Nate is being a less scrambly and more technical. I can't remember much about the roll, but it was pretty controlled. We ended the round with me attempting to pass his guard.

Dennis pulled guard before I could. I jokingly told him that he was doing it wrong, because I was supposed to pull guard. I don't remember much about this roll either, except that he attempted a bolo that I was able to more or less stuff.

Antone had top position for most of the roll BUT he didn't get a submission (even though he was definitely trying). I consider that progress. I had a pretty good idea of what he was going for before he hit it, so that while I wasn't able to prevent him from getting the position, I did stay out of the worst positions. At one point, I defended an arm-bar where I was on my back by rotating so that I was side-to-side with him instead of perpendicular and getting one of my legs across his head. I should have asked him if it was a crank, b/c it sortof felt like one. He let go of the arm, and during the ensuing scramble I almost passed his guard, which would have been quite a feat.

Before we started the roll, Tyrone said "No triangles from you today!". I asked him to clarify..did he want me to go for something besides triangles, or was he setting a goal of not getting trapped in a triangle? He said trapped in a triangle. Challenge accepted. Within a minute I had a triangle locked up, but I didn't have my hips up high enough and he was able to escape. I went for a couple of more, and found an arm-bar and collar choke along the way. I felt a little bad about tapping him out with submissions, b/c he's a one stripe white belt and still pretty new. 

Jason was intent on doing his latest leg-drag-to-rolling-back-attack techniques. At one point he didn't have his feet set correctly when going for the rolling back attack and I was able to come out on top with a hook in and him turtle. I got full back mount and went for numerous chokes, including a bow and arrow that I thought was pretty tight but apparently not tight enough. He worked his way out those, eventually got on top and went for some submissions of his own. He wasn't able to finish anything either, which I'd also consider progress for me.

No comments: