Monday, February 3, 2014

Advanced Class

Three people showed up for the Sunday advanced class. Russ, Dennis and myself. James and crew were still driving back from the tournament, so I expected a low turnout but this was kindof ridiculous. 

We did 5min rounds of drilling, switching one person out each round. I drilled the leg drag passes from the private last week. Those went fairly well. I spent one round drilling the bolo. Became a bit more comfortable with it. Not sure if it's something that I want to focus on or not. I'm thinking not for the time being. I'm hoping that having a basic understanding of it will help me defend it better though.

Also worked standing passes if opponent doesn't have any grips. I don't know when I'll ever be able to make that happen, but whatever. The pass is stepping off to the side, grabbing their back from over the top of their shoulder and driving your head into their far shoulder as your other arm has a grip on their knee. It works great, but you're pretty much cooked if they get a frame up....which of course they will. The next step is to drill it when someone starts to put up a likely defense and see what I can do with it. 

No rolling at the end. Just an hour and a half of drilling. I didn't even work up much of a sweat.


No comments: