Wednesday, February 26, 2014

While the Cat is Away

James left for Vegas this morning, so Jason (b) and I breathed a big sigh of relief when Antone walked into the gym. That meant that he would be on the hook for teaching class instead of us. 

Antone asked us what we wanted to work on, and I requested a pass that he uses frequently against me. The gist of it is that you crowd into them, get their knee trapped between your thighs, and either ride their hips for a pass or free your leg and do an x-pass. So step in with R foot, R hand on their L lapel and L hand controlling their R knee. Crowd them so they're on their back. With their R knee above your thighs, squeeze your knees together and put your hands on the mat above their head. No matter how much they move, you should be able to ride on top. Get an underhook on their L side with your R arm, step your L leg out to the side and slide your R knee the rest of the way through for the pass to the L, picking up their R arm from the mat as you go. 

You can also put your R foot back on the mat instead of riding on their hips, stuff their R knee into your R armpit, turn your L foot like your stomping out a cigarette and point your knee towards the R (perpendicular to them). Before your knee hits the ground, sprawl and shoot into their legs. (Sprawl and shoot at the same time...? I know, I know) Anyway, the idea is that you end up sprawled on top of their legs. This was far and away the most difficult one.

If they don't cross one of their legs over the back of your R calf, move your R hand to their L shoulder and push down on their shoulder as you kick your R leg straight up (NOT back). L hand stays on their R knee and pushes it to the R for an x pass to your L. 

I'm going to drill them on Sunday, as I think it's very effective.

Rolls with Kayla, Ryan, Blaine, Antone and Dennis. I harassed Kayla with guard submissions and then worked on transitioning through top positions. Ryan has visibly progressed, and I had a more difficult time playing open guard on him. He was breaking grips like crazy. With Blaine, he spent half the round on a guard pass and I spent the other half on a pass of my own. I was doing a good job with a standing guard pass and crowding him with my hips, but I wasn't controlling the leg on the way down so he was able to reguard. Antone was in good form and got me with an omoplata and a couple of other subs. I was able to wriggle out of a few more and successfully stopped a rolling back attack but otherwise he dominated handily. Dennis passed to top-side but I eventually escaped and spent the remainder of the round in top side.

1 comment:

SavageKitsune said...

Does this mean Antone is teaching on Saturday? I might be able to still get you into the tournament. ;)