Thursday, April 16, 2015

Thu Night

Out since Saturday due to head cold. Nothing bad. I've been comparing colds to the pneumonia I had last year and it helps me to remember that a head cold really isn't that big of a deal.

Since I've been out, I've been watching lots of jiu jitsu vids. An occasional instructional, but mostly highlights. I was looking forward to getting back on the mat tonight and doing my version of graceful, effective movement. 

Turns out I'm not an elite level black belt and I don't move the way they move. Not even close. There's nothing newsworthy here, except that a little seedling of expectation must have been planted at some point that my rolling would mimic high level competition rolling. 

Russ taught tonight, and it was refreshing to have a smaller class of 10 instead of 20+. He went over a takedown, pass, mount choke and transition to arm-bar from mount. Good stuff, all of it.

Rolled with Emilie, Jason W., Kelly, Manny and Russ. Looking back, I didn't roll that bad, but I certainly didn't feel like I rolled well. I tried to incorporate the hybrid spider/shin guard from a video that I watched on Michelle Nicolini but I didn't fare very well. Having never even drilled it, much less trying it live rolls against people better than I was...of course it's not going to go well.

Emilie did a great job of taking away space when she was in top position. She's a little noodly in bottom positions, but she's making great progress.

Jason and I had the same roll we always have, where we start on our knees, he shuts down my guard (open or closed), he passes into a stifling side-control and then submits with a wrist lock or leg lock. He was choosing predominantly leg locks tonight and it was getting to me. I finally started to go right to turtle from the reset just to try something different.


Kelly was working some inverted guard that I thought I did ok at nullifying. He started off the roll with donkey guard. *sigh*

Manny seemed to be giving me positions and working sub defense.

Russ was pretty much shutting me down everywhere.

I think my cardio isn't quite recovered from the cold, so hopefully that's the source of my doldrums. Class hasn't been fun for over week and it's bumming me out. 

No comments: