Monday, April 6, 2015

Sunday and Monday Morning

Easter Sunday and we still have five people show up. A bit of a bummer that we had an odd number, but when it came to the rolling part I didn't mind sitting out a round to catch my breath. 

Worked on grip breaks, smash half guard pass, DLR transition, and turtle escapes from Friday.

Rolled with Russ, Kelly (no gi), James and Jason W. Russ and I seemed to have a fairly even roll. Kelly was pushing a 50/50 leg lock game which didn't leave me too excited. Jason smashed the ever-loving crap out of me. James let me a work a little bit but I felt like I was doing an awful lot wrong.

Not especially happy with the rolls, but c'est la vie.

Had Sarah back for Monday morning. Double-under guard pass was on the agenda. Shrugging on leg onto your shoulder and finishing with a knee-to-mouth pressure pass or grabbing their lapels to slide in for an arm-bar or make them turtle. There was a great detail about using your head to trap the leg during the pressure pass that I want to try to remember and incorporate in drilling.

Rolls with Sarah, Ben, Dennis and Jason S. Sarah is still recovering from being sick, so I tried to be rather mellow with the roll.

Ben has been out for awhile. We started standing, I pulled guard and then worked closed guard submissions. Back and forth between arm-bar, triangle and omoplata. Couldn't finish anything, but I was happy with how I was transitioning from one to the other. I almost had a mounted triangle at one point but couldn't make it stick. Late in the roll I got myself into trouble as Ben had a bottom lapel grip, wrapped it around my head and got a choke.

Dennis and I started from standing and once again I pulled guard. I'm very weak with my osoto gari attempts. I need to commit on those or else I'll never get it. Worked quite a bit of guard with Dennis and tried to prevent passing. Got him to turtle and tried to work an armbar but I realized that I was kneeing him in the ear repeatedly while trying to get my leg over. I stopped the roll and apologized. He said it was no big deal, but his ear was very, very red.

Jason passed my guard and had me in trouble, but I fended him off longer than usual and was doing a decent job of leg weaving and keeping a knee up. 

No comments: