Sunday, April 5, 2015

Fundies and Nooner

Eight people for Fundies today, excluding Rachael and I. A couple of them were brand new to the gym. 

Covered passing, including some theory. I talked quite a bit, but I hope it was useful stuff and that I wasn't talking too fast. I have to consciously slow my speech down at times. It seemed to go over well. If I were to do it again with that crowd, I probably wouldn't try to cover standing passes at the end. Otherwise, I think it went well.

James went over mount escapes at the noon class, which was propelled by him watching a UFC fight in which one of the participants apparently did everything wrong to escape mount. Really, really wrong, according to him.

Only one roll b/c I had to leave class early. Rachael and I started standing, and I tried a few different things to get the takedown. She ended up jumping guard, much to my surprise. She did a good job of harassing me in closed guard by breaking my posture and attacking arms. She eventually opened her and I'm not sure what happened after that except that I ended up on top and was working for back-control when time ran out. I was pleased with my patience in closed guard, but wish I could have opened the guard sooner. I had a fluid transition from one position to another when I was on top which was refreshing.

No comments: