Saturday, April 25, 2015

Fri Morning and Saturday

Friday morning class.... don't remember much, except that I spent the entirety of one roll with Jason S. having figure four back control. I survived in that I didn't get submitted, but that was brutal.

Saturday Fundies consisted of 8 folks and almost ALL of them were brand new. A little unfortunate that today was open guard day, but I put it off last week and didn't want to put it off again. So..... I tried to make open guard very, very basic. Hopefully I succeeded. Went over some concepts of open guard: managing distance, managing movement side-to-side and having some sortof inside control. DLR sit-up sweep, DLR to tripod sweep and DLR to RDLR sickle sweep.

Noon class we had a bunch of drop-ins from other gyms. Technique was DLR sweeps if someone has a combat stance. Either dump them side a la sit-up sweep, or do a technical stand-up to dump them the other way. If you can get their far arm close enough into you, butt scoot toward them and throw your leg over for an arm bar.

Rolls were KOTH, win by mount or submission. If you win thrice, you go back to the wall.

First roll was with one of the visitors, Mick. Big older blue belt. I worked guard a bit, then bailed to bottom half when I was about to passed. Worked quite a bit of bottom half trying to get underneath him. Realized I wasn't going to succeed, so finally got my leg out and worked open guard again. I swept him somehow and got to mount. Wish I could remember the sweep.

Joyce after that. I didn't roll with her long, taking an arm-bar pretty early into it. Shouldn't have gone for a sub quite that early. 

Then it was Naomi, who I tried to flower sweep about ten times before I finally got it. I should have moved to something else, but I was determined to get it. Finally got her post hand tied up enough that she wasn't able to stop it.

Rolls with Kelly, Mick again, Ryan M., James and Kasey. Kelly was just toying with me for awhile until he finally got me with some sort of submission. Against Mick I worked open guard again, got a sweep (again don't remember how) and then got to mount. Ryan almost got a guillotine while I was in half guard (I keep forgetting that 9/10 subs those guys try are going to be guillotines). I defended that and then got caught with...something.

Kasey...same roll every time. I tried some open guard, almost had a half a second of success with the spiderguard hammer sweep, then I ended up mounted.

Interesting roll with James...tried to pass his guard, and as he was going for a sweep I shot forward and had top side control with both of his arms isolated (one with my legs and one with my arms). I maintained that for a split second and then he was out. I tried to take his back but got wrist-locked before I could get around.

No comments: