Friday, January 17, 2014

The Splits

Took Wednesday off from class, so ended up with three days in a row with no jiu jitsu. That isn't that long, but it felt like a week. Tues and Thurs night I went wall-climbing, so it's not like my body was refreshed for today's Friday morning class.

We had a new guy start today. He heard of us b/c he works at Chipotle, and apparently Antone goes there every day. This guy works at Chipotle, and Antone talked up our school enough that the kid came to try it out. Pretty cool!

Fun class, we went over how to get someone out of the turtle position. Nothing new, so I was able to focus on some details. Even so, I still drilled the first one wrong the entire time by not putting my hand down on the mat before trying to pull them into me. I might put a couple of these on the list to drill on Sunday.

Rolled with Sol, Jason (b), Dennis and Tryone.

I asked Sol to flow roll, and he responded by going very, very light. In fact, he was rolling more like he was my drilling partner instead of doing a flow roll, but that's ok. It was nice to kindof ease back into rolling.

I had really enjoyable rolls with both Dennis and Jason. They were back and forth affairs, and I was relatively close on an arm-bar with Jason close to taking Dennis' back. Jason transitioned from technical mount to a triangle. I was able to keep enough of my torso in so that even when he rotated around to finish it from guard I wasn't in too much danger. When he tried to adjust the angle, he left enough of an opening for me to pop out.

I worked from guard on Tyrone, and threatened the standard fare of arm-bars, omoplatas, triangles and collar chokes. I had to remind myself to do catch-and-release. At one point, he was in the midst of passing my guard with a variation of the knee cut pass. I don't remember the exact configuration, but somehow my legs got too far apart and it felt like I was involuntarily doing the splits. I'm not especially flexible in that area, and had to take a moment to myself. Fortunately, nothing was pulled, just uncomfortable. After half a minute I was able to continue the roll.

Tyrone got his first stripe.

Nate finally got a gi that fit. We're all so excited that he has sleeves and pants that we can actually grab.


No comments: