Monday, January 20, 2014

Sunday Afternoon & Monday Morning

1/19

I could probably just cut and paste my Sunday class write-up each week. They're probably all going to look like this: It's awesome, I drilled DLR sweeps, I had fun rolls. :)

I arrived a half hour early to get some extra drilling time with Russ. I wrote down a list of what I wanted to drill ahead of time, which helped when my brain started blanking out.

I did tiny bit of a DLR sweep if your opponent is in a combat stance that I watched on youtube right before I left. I did a fair amount of getting someone out of turtle, the DLR sweeps and the 93 guard sweep.

Can't remember who I rolled with besides Antone and James. I did pretty poorly against James. He was working some new techniques and I felt pretty clueless in my response.

1/20

Bigger than normal class due to MLK Jr. holiday. Both Sarah and Rachael were there, which made me quite happy. We worked back-mount escapes, specifically if they don't have a seatbelt, or if they have a seatbelt and get you to the bad side, or if they are applying a bow-n-arrow. I'm going to add back escapes to the list to drill next week, especially the bow and arrow b/c there several details that I usually miss.

Rolls with Keith, Sarah, Rachael and Joyce. The higher belt started with the lower belt on their back. I did rock-paper-scissors with Keith to figure out where we were starting, and since I was the higher belt with the rest I started with everyone on my back. I was able to escape the initial position with relative ease and get to guard. Keith and I had a great technical battle, definitely one of our better rolls together. At one point he tried to choke me from inside my guard, but I finally threatened a plausible sweep and he quit that. I know I should arm-bar all day, but he was somehow keeping my hips down to prevent that. Sarah got me into both 50/50 and X. She started passes from both positions, but don't think she was able to finish any. I am utterly clueless in 50/50.

Rachael and I had a good back and forth too. I had top side control for a piece of time, which she escaped and reversed. She had a tight top side-control that took me awhile to escape. I tried my reverse of the knee slice pass on her with no luck. Need some help with that too.

Joyce wasn't engaging for the first part of the roll, but I finally got her in my guard. I did the hip bump sweep, let her escape mount, swept again, let her escape, then let her work on passing my guard and top side control.

No comments: