Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Risk vs Reward

Yesterday I felt very low energy, so I skipped lifting and went to bed early. Woke up feeling much better today. Good thing, b/c there's about 6" of snow that needs shoveling when I get home.

Submissions from top side-control. All of them involved moving to N/S, trapping one of their arms under your pit, and then transitioning back for a sprawled-away-from-them kimura, lying-next-to-them kimura, or a choke. I was working with Sarah, which is always a welcome relief to drill with someone that doesn't outweigh me by 50lb. 

Rolls with Sarah, Antone, Tyrone, Jason (b) and Nate. I was happy with how I rolled with Sarah, as I felt that the majority of my movements were smooth and controlled. Felt like I was flowing around, using momentum and staying a step or so ahead.

Antone was tying me up in knots, but I could tell that he was also sitting back at times so that I could regain guard or escape. It was kindof a weird roll, in that he was clearly working to get to a position, securing it, letting me out and then moving on to something else. He subbed me at the end of the round with something, but don't remember what it was. He mentioned after the roll that I wasn't falling for the stuff that I used to, so at least there's that.

I worked guard with Tyrone and went for several submissions. In hindsight I should have worked sweeps instead, but he's been there long enough and pressuring me to the point where I couldn't help it. I was so proud when he executed an excellent upa escape from bottom mount. I snagged a couple arm-bars, one from guard and one from mount. I had a difficult time passing his guard but was eventually able to get around a couple of times. 

Jason did his usual wrecking job on me today. He got a very clean N/S choke, which I didn't quite see coming b/c I thought he was going for one of the techniques that we had drilled in class. When I realized it was a N/S choke it was too late to do anything. Not that I know how to defend them anyway (turn in?). 

Last roll with Nate, hooray. I love getting the super scrambly guy at the end. I was able to slow him down to an extent with my guard. At one point I was set up beautifully for a triangle but I could not keep his posture down. I was actively working to keep his head down and he was having none of it. He eventually postured up enough that I was losing it, and then he stood up. I kept a hold of his arm and was attempting an arm-bar while he was standing. I looked down and realized that I was in a hell of a precarious position, b/c I had all of my limbs on his arm and nothing except my head to break my fall if I fell. I considered risk vs. reward and decided to bail on the arm-bar. Bummer to let it go, but I'm happy with the choice. He wouldn't have tried to deliberately spike me, but it was entirely possible that he'd try to shake me off.

No comments: