Monday, January 13, 2014

Batten Down the Hatches

I considered taking off from class today b/c my body was a little irked about four jiu jitsu classes and a 2hr session of wall climbing in three days. Decided to ignore my body and go to class anyway. Had an ok session, although I was getting mauled in bottom side control.

We drilled regaining guard from a pass by pushing their arm across their body. It was a relatively easy technique, but there were a couple of new guys and I guess it was harder than it looked, b/c we spent more time drilling it than we normally would. After that, we did omoplata from spiderguard and an arm-bar from a failed omoplata. At the end we did tomoe nage on kneeling and standing opponents. I more or less got it from when my partner was kneeling, but wanted no part of the standing variation.

Rolls with C, Julio, Wayne and Nate. I was rolling either with a guy who was much bigger/stronger or more athletic. Awesome. I was kindof having a "day" anyway, so getting my guard passed and put into crushing side control was not a lot of fun. At one point, I had a half guard and Wayne had my wrist trapped under his leg. His shin was digging into my wrist, and finally I tapped from that b/c it was becoming seriously uncomfortable. Meh. Nate was on top for most of the roll, but toward the end I was able to reverse and was working to get both hooks in for back control.

I did that thing that I hate where I just hang out in bottom side and wait for them to transition to a different position or go for a submission. I really dislike just lying there, but when I feel like I'm getting battered around a bit, it's my little cocoon of survival. I can't come anywhere close matching those guys on strength, and my technique is still just good enough to survive, not to overcome.

No comments: