Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Best Flowing Non-Flow Roll

The only thing that I'm looking forward to when I'm a purple is being a purple belt that is on time to class. We had no fewer than four purples arrive late to class. To be fair, there were a couple of blues too.

Reverse scissor sweep on the menu for today. Reverse scissor into a shoulder lock after the sweep is complete, moving to a kimura if they stand up mid-way through and a single-leg take-down defense that ends in a reverse scissor motion.

Sadly for me, when drilling the last technique with Nate, my head came into painful contact with his head or knee or something quite firm. I had to take a few minutes to clear my noggin. Wasn't a concussion, but it certainly didn't feel very good.

Rolls with Nate, Sol, Nando, Tyrone and Jason (b). After class Antone and I rolled for awhile, probably ~10min or less.

Everyone was able to pass my guard, much to my dismay. I did get reversals on most everyone except for Sol. I think he was having a bad day, and was out to crush. Not in a mean way, but in a...well...I don't know how to describe it, but I didn't think it was a mean crushing. At one point, Nando was going for an ezekiel, which I managed to defend. After a bit of a scramble, I ended up with an anaconda that I couldn't finish b/c I never, ever drill the anaconda and really don't know how to do it right. I kept working it until the buzzer anyway.

Tyrone rolled well and is improving quickly. He passed my guard along with everyone else but I was able to regain and eventually start threatening chokes and arm-bars.

Jason and I had a pretty fun roll. I don't remember the details, but it seemed like while he was able to do some crushing from top side control, there was a little less crushing than usual.

The roll with Antone after class was quite enjoyable. There were a couple of points where he took a little off his game to let me work, and we had some cool transitions. It definitely wasn't a flow roll pace, but the number of transitions made it feel like a flow roll.

There's a open mat in a neighboring town that should be well attended. There were six or seven people sitting around before class, and James looks right at me and asks, "Is anyone interested in going to the open mat?". And just kept looking at me. So...I guess I'm going to the open mat.


No comments: