Saturday, January 11, 2014

Saturday is for Beginners

I considered ditching class b/c I was dragging a bit from yesterday and have a wall climbing adventure tonight. Also, the sun was out for the first time in quite awhile, and my dog was giving me the you-haven't-taken-me-outside-for-days eyes. I promised I'd take her in the afternoon and off I went.

I don't know if a bunch of guys made it their New Year's resolution to do BJJ, but it seemed to be the case today. We had four or five new guys, plus a couple of other newish people. I thought I was going to be the only higher belt (aside from James), but fortunately Clayton, Sol and Keith showed up.

We did the basic kimura from guard, then kimura to back-take, and then hip-bump sweep to triangle. I was working with Clayton for the most part, and both of us were struggling much more than we should have been with the kimura. I've never done James' set-up before, and we kept bonking heads and looking like idiots. I felt sorry for James, because there was another new guy who was just watching, and Clayton and I couldn't have been giving him a very good impression.

I rolled with Clayton and then left to take the dog on a long walk, in which she proceeded to get very, very muddy. That gives me about an hour of chilling before my next adventure. I felt bad not being more involved since there were so many new people, but I just didn't have it in me today.

Oh yeah, way to go Seahawks! Made it waaaaaaaaaay too close at the end, but the final score is all that matters.

No comments: