Monday, January 6, 2014

Back to the Grind

So my two week holiday vacation is over. Now it's back to fitting an 8hr work-day plus jiu-jitsu and power-lifting. In some respects it's good to be back into a routine. I definitely function better in the midst of a routine. Speaking of which, I'm not going to do night classes anymore unless I have an over-abundance of energy. It's going to be the usual Mon-Wed-Fri morning classes and then Saturday and Sunday afternoons. My body gets worn out from two-a-days or a morning class following a night class. I think five classes a week is a good pace, and should allow me to get back to lifting.

Relatively small class this morning since everyone else is apparently back at work as well. We went over a couple of escapes from an opponent taking your back as you're turtled. Also did a escape from back-mount if you are taken to the wrong side (assuming they have over/under grips).

Rolled with Savannah, Tyrone, Dennis, Jason, Nate and Todd. Savannah was able to complete a pass, much to her credit. I eventually got mount, but her passing is really coming along well.

I tried numerous arm-bars and chokes on Tyrone but his defense was surprisingly good. He hasn't been training long, and I was impressed with his ability to survive bad positions. I was a jerk though and applied a body triangle b/c I knew he didn't know how to defend it. I wasn't squeezing hard though, and let it go to secure a bow and arrow.

Dennis and I had a great back and forth. We usually don't have scrambly rolls, but we were both getting after it today. I tried to break his grip on my pants but was failing miserably. I almost got the DLR sweep I've been working on but couldn't quite finish it. Was excited that I was able to destabilize his base at least.

Jason is definitely letting me work a bit more. I focused on grips at the beginning of the roll which he seemed to appreciate. He of course passed my guard and then got me with a americana from top side control after baiting me with a arm-bar. Later on he was close on a d'arce but didn't quite have his arm under my chin, so I was able to barely fend it off and survive.

I got Nate in a triangle and he stood up with me. I should have kept it locked, but I didn't get the needed grip behind his head and had to break it. I was able to secure a finish a triangle later. He passed my guard and ended the match in mount.

I was happy with how much offensive I was mounting today, but not pleased with how easy it is for people to pass my guard.


No comments: