Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wrist Locks All Day

10/30

There were only three of us plus James. We started off going over the same technique as the no gi class from the night before. At some point it morphed into maintaining top position in deep half guard. Anytime you're holding their elbow to you, you've got keep your own elbow to your hip. When trying to maintain top deep half, I've just been pulling their elbow up instead of pinning it to my hip. Hopefully this mod will help me be more successful in that situation.

Rolls with Dennis, Todd and James. Dennis had great top position. I tried getting his arm over my shin in bottom side-control but the guys are getting wise to that move. I was able to use it once to help me shrimp away, so it wasn't for naught. Todd and I had a good back forth. I had his back at one point and was able to maintain long enough to finish a bow and arrow. James got me with at least one wrist lock b/c I grabbed his lapel like an idiot. How many times must I make this mistake? I can't help but curse and laugh each time he gets it. I spent most of the roll trying to pass, with little success.

Walter is coming in three weeks. I've been a bit more consistent with my Portuguese studying, so I'm hopeful that I'll be able to exchange pleasantries and maybe have a discussion about colors and numbers. :p

No comments: