Friday, October 4, 2013

Nut Sweep

10/4

Today was spiderguard and variations thereof. The first couple were basic sweeps on a kneeling opponent. One of them, with the foot on the bicep and trying to look behind you as you lengthen your back was hard for me. I've tried this during rolls b/c I thought it was relatively straightfoward but I haven't been successful with it. I could probably spend an entire class learning about the set-up and execution of this one particular sweep.

One of the sweeps on a standing opponent I've never seen before, and it was especially dicey for the guys. You have spiderguard with feet on the hips on standing opponent. Switch one foot from hip to DLR hook. The other foot hooks behind the knee of their other leg, and catches it as they try to backstep or step forward. Once they take their weight off of that foot, bring them toward you and get grips on the backs of their ankles with both hands (similar to double ankle sweep). Place the non DLR hook foot just below their groin on the same side as the DLR hook. Ensure the DLR hook is high on their thigh. Straighten legs and lift them so that they are above your torso. They will base out with their hands, so dump them to the opposite side of the DLR. Pull a leg out and back, then come up into top-half or side-control.

Rolls with Manny, Dennis, Tyler and Antone. I don't remember much about the rolls except that Antone got a wrist-lock on me that I fought off for awhile but finally had to succumb. I was able to use some of the back-mount techniques from last night, though he was pretty much in control the entire time. Dennis remarked that I seemed to have used a technique several times to escape from the bottom wherein I end up behind or on top of them with their legs collapsed. I don't quite know how I'm getting there, but it seems to come when opponents are in a position to kimura from top side or maybe technical mount. I dive both arms under the facing leg and try to pop out the back. Thinking back on it I only have a vague sense of the set-up. Hopefully I'll be more conscious of it the next time it happens so that I can identify the entry point.

I stalled out on the Portuguese when I wasn't feeling too well the past couple of weeks, but am picking it back up. A little less than two months before Walter comes (James' coach) and hopefully I'll be able to speak a little bit. James is going to get his black belt...I'm so damned excited for him.

No comments: