Monday, October 7, 2013

King of the Hill Success

10/7

Sweeps from closed guard: scissor, reverse scissor, reverse scissor to knee bar and reverse scissor to americana. I was working with Jason (b) who has about 50lb on me. I have to more or less knock him off to the side instead trying to load him up over my body b/c my legs just get crushed. I had better luck when my knee was closer to his chin than his sternum, but it was still a trial to get him over. I had no chance practicing the knee bar b/c the premise is that you snag his leg out of the air as it passes by. Good luck with that if you're just dumping him to the side. 

Finally got a pass on a day of pass/sweep king of the hill!!! On Julio no less! I had the immense benefit of watching his previous roll with someone and noticed how he baited them into in a kindof quarter guard and then swept him over his body. He started off doing the same set-up on me, so I got an arm under his head and just hugged in for dear life. When I was able to establish a good position, I sat on my hip and used my outside foot to free my trapped foot. My instinct of staying in tight instead of sprawling and trying to attack from there worked very, very well. He was razzed by the other people in line who saw it, which I thought was kindof lame. I also benefited from doing poorly in the KOTH up until that point and him doing well, which meant he was more spent than I was.

I didn't acquit myself as well in the remainder of the KOTH. I tried a mix of standing and kneeling passes, although it was mostly kneeling passes. We did normal KOTH rolls for the last ten minutes or so.

No comments: