Saturday, October 19, 2013

Just Rolls

10/18

There were only four of us to start (James, Dennis, Jason (b) and myself). James asked us if we wanted to work on anything in particular, and since we all demurred, we ended up rolling. Antone arrived about 45min into class. We managed to completely screw up the rotation as to who was sitting out, so some people sat our more than others. It's a simple formula, but apparently too difficult for us.

Overall I was happy with the rolls. During one of my rolls with Dennis I got to back-mount using a bastardized version of the DLR back-take. I had his back for quite awhile, couldn't get a choke so moved to a mounted arm-bar. He had a good grip with his other arm and I was working and working to break it. He kept trying to come up to escape but I kept a good base. I wasn't getting the arm-bar, so I just bailed on it and reset. In hindsight, I should have tried to bail into mount instead of giving up on the roll entirely, but I felt like if I wasn't making progress that I wasn't going to take up our entire roll with an arm-bar attempt.

Dennis returned the favor later with a bow and arrow variation. I forgot to reach behind my head to loosen the grip, which I kicked myself for later. I fought it off for awhile by keeping my legs pointed in the same direction as my face, but he was able to eventually get to a better position and cranked it pretty good. I have a nice little gi burn on my neck from it.

The rest of the rolls went as usual, with me defending from inferior positions. A lot. Antone has a habit of getting me to leave an arm out for americanas when he has top side-control. He attacks so many different areas simultaneously that it's hard to work escapes and not leave something free.

No comments: