Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Imperfect RNC is Still Effective

10/9

Half guard pass to kesa gatame to tea-bag to back-take or s-mount straight arm-bar. In a nutshell.

Energy levels are still good, although when 8pm hits I'm ready to call it night. Didn't do any physical activity yesterday except for taking the dog out to the ridge for 40min. Felt good today and was eager for class.

Did ok on the drills, except I'm pretty sure my weight distribution on some of the passes wasn't good. We were doing pretty long chains of techniques, but there were only a few variations that I hadn't seen before so I was able to keep up. I'm going to have to try the tea-bagging thing if I ever get to kesa gatame on someone.

Rolled with Sol, Dennis, Todd and Jason (b). I was doing well against Sol, and he let me have a triangle about midway through. There was good back and forth in the rolls with Dennis and Jason. I worked (briefly) to pass their guard on several occasions. Really trying to push myself out of my comfort zone of guard and trying to get to top more. I had an omoplata on Dennis for the longest time, but when I tried to kick backwards while he was sitting up he sprawled back so that I couldn't get on top. Was a great defense and took me by surprise. Todd had me in an RNC and I thought that his arm was much too high to finish the choke (it was just above my chin). Turns out that when someone arches backward and cranks it tight, it's still effective. Wasn't happy about tapping to that, but it was a helluva lot of pressure. Pretty sure that I didn't try to pull his choking arm down AT ALL the entire time. *sigh*

No comments: