Monday, October 7, 2013

King of the Hill, Redux

10/7 - Evening

Decided to hit the evening class as a birthday present to myself. Paaaaaaaaaacked class tonight, close to 20 people. Energy was good, so I'm hoping the fatigue has gone underground for awhile.

Went over DLR sweeps. One of them was the nut killer from last week, and the other was taking the back. I did ok with them, and tried the one where you take the back several times during rolls but wasn't able to get it.

More KOTH tonight. Similar rules as this morning. Sweep or pass. The difference is that the person off the wall started standing. I did fairly awful at this, primarily b/c I didn't have a gameplan for passing. I finally decided that I'd try toreando passes, but met with quite a lot of failure. Over the course of a half hour, I probably got two passes and was able to retain guard or improve it a couple of times.

Near the end we played "choke ball", which consists of dividing the class into two teams on opposite sides of the mat. Everyone starts and must remain on their knees. A ball is put in the middle between the teams, and they have to get it to the opposite end of the mat using any means necessary. Have to admit, was pretty fun.

Rolled with Russ for about 10min afterward. He worked his way into back mount and then into a kimura and then arm-bar, but I was eventually able to wiggle my way out of it. Happy with my defense, and really happy with my energy level. Hope it continues.

No comments: