Saturday, July 25, 2015

Fundies and Open Mat Nooner

An...interesting mix at Fundies this morning. Nando brought his gf for her first class. A guy who comes in now and again brought a friend, who he introduced as Father Andrew. Which explained the robes. Lots of new folks that I hadn't met before. Richard (Joe lookalike), Cole (younger guy), and can't remember who else. 

The position of the day--back control escapes--was perfect for a class full of new people. I thought it went fairly well, even though my first run-through of the escape to choking side escape didn't go quite right. Nando wasn't giving me quite enough pressure, so I didn't have to get rid of the second hook before turning over. I corrected it the second time around, but was thrown off a little bit by the lack of tension. Overall though, pretty happy with it.

After Fundies rolled with Blaine, Nando and Richard. Nando was going all out and had top positions for the most part, but I wasn't in real danger and was able to regain guard. Blaine and I played our usual game of him in my guard. I tried to open it up a bit, but kept closing my guard. I'd like to just keep trying to play my open game with him.

Noon class was straight rolling. Rolled with Sol, Kasey, Dess, Glen, Jamie, James. Of note was my roll with Kasey, which I felt went much better than I've rolled with him before. I think it was partly due to him opening up a bit, as he went for a rolling back attack from top half guard. 

Had a pretty fun roll with James, although he caught me twice with an omoplata while I was trying to knee cut pass. He told me after the first one that I need to make sure I had the underhook, but I apparently didn't listen b/c the next time through I got caught with the exact same thing. 

One pretty cool thing though. He was doing the escape from back control toward the choking arm side where you grab the back of the head and step out wide and belly down. As he stepped around I was sortof able to follow, but b/c he had the back of my head I was getting flipped in front him. I flailed around somehow almost got a crucifix or armbar. I can't explain it well, but it was wild and James said "holy shit" so loud I thought I injured him. Was very close to awesome is the summation.

No comments: