Monday, July 6, 2015

Fri & Mon

Friday was no gi, and I was the jerk who wore shorts and a sleeveless compression shirt. Nice for me to stay cool, but not fun for my partners with my sweat going everywhere. There was a huge difference in rolling with someone who was dressed like myself as opposed to those who were mostly covered. I'm going to go that route in the future out of consideration for my training partners. Had a pretty good day at no gi, happy with the rolls.

Monday morning was hot as balls again in the gym, 86F and probably 70% sweat humidity. Fortunately I had a nice heavy gi to soak it all up. blargh

Techniques consisted of takedowns, which was great b/c we rarely touch on those. James did his uchi mata ankle pick. Julio showed a kindof brutal I-don't-know-what. You wrist lock yourself if you do it wrong. Kelly showed my favorite, dropping down like you're going for a single but basically just knocking them over with your head pressure against their knee.

KOTH for rolling, win by back, mount or sub. I started on the wall. Had a long roll with Sol where I was defensive the entire time. Felt like it was close to 10min or so. I fended off a fair amount, but finally succumbed to mount.

After that it was Harris. He's very strong and good at closing up space. I barely fended off his pass attempts, went inverted several times and really focused on having good frames. He finally started getting tired and I caught a triangle that I eventually finished. Then it was Dennis. Ugh. Can't remember how that roll went, I was getting gassed but not badly. A couple of breaths and I was more or less back to form. He won, I can't remember how.

Final roll was with Chuck. He's very squirrely and worked a strong DLR hook. He didn't take advantage of it quite right though and I passed. I worked mostly from side-control and north south, much to my surprise. I very nearly got mount, but he had his knee wedged in just enough for it to not count. Time ended while I was in top position.

Can't complain about my rolling today.

No comments: