Thursday, July 23, 2015

Drop Ins

Trained twice in ten days. Stopped in at one school for an evening advanced gi class and was a little surprised by the basic nature of the class. I'm all about fundamentals, but this was being taught like it was their first exposure to DLR. Another red flag is that I was very evenly matched with their 4 stripe purple belt dudes. Something is amiss somewhere if I'm going toe to toe with a 4 stripe purple dude.

The other school I visited is in the same affiliation as ours. Instructor was no-nonsense, and it was no gi so I had no idea of the experience level of my training partners. Went over some attacks from the arm-wrap that I haven't seen before. I was doing surprisingly poorly on the warm-ups and technique, although my training partner mentioned a number of times that he wished he had the hip mobility that I did. I'd guess that he was a low purple and most of the other guys were high blues or thereabouts. Almost all of them were big dudes, but they went surprisingly light during the rolls. Didn't try to hulk smash their way through, which was very much appreciated.

Sleep and hydration were serious issues on the trip. It's two days later and I'm just now starting to feel like my body is getting back to normal. Went to class on Wednesday morning. Warm-ups consisted of flow rolling, and I felt like a complete idiot during my first flow roll. It's like I've never done jiu jitsu before, even though it had only been a week. It was better once I got going.

Had a pretty decent roll with James at the end of class. Also rolled with Opal, Laurie, and possibly Jason S. again.

Very happy to be home.

No comments: