Friday, May 2, 2014

Friday

I was a bit scattered this morning, but managed to NOT forget anything important. I like the Kindle, but I don't know if a newspaper subscription is going to be worth it b/c I don't have time to read more than one or two articles on the weekdays that I have class. 

Today's warm-up consisted of circuit training: ball slams, battling ropes, KOB transitions, box jumps, sit-up things and pummeling. I was hesitant about the box jumps b/c the "box" in the case was a chair that seemed not quite as sturdy as I would have liked. I did some step-ups for the first couple and then moved on to grown-up box jumps. 

Technique was transitioning from seated guard to X guard and then various sweeps based on their positioning. It's been a long while since we've done X guard technique and I was excited to give it another try. I've found myself in X guard type positions, but have forgotten what to do from there. 

The initial transition starts off well for me, but getting the second leg in and obtaining control of their shoulder remains dicey. Not b/c of long legs, but I don't think I'm pushing enough with the other leg to reposition them. 

Rolls with Sarah, Kayla, Tyrone, Blaine and Jason (p). My roll with Sarah was a stimulating chess match, as she was working the X guard so I had plenty of opportunities to try to shut it down. We spent almost the entire five minutes on that exercise.

Kayla seemed a bit tired, and I took full advantage by getting back control and finishing with a bow and arrow. I threatened numerous arm-bars from guard but I couldn't think of what to do when she defended by getting her other arm behind my leg. I know there's something, but couldn't noodle it during the roll.

Tyrone was also worn down, and I again took advantage by getting back control. I was relatively close on a RNC, but I didn't think my forearm was under the chin and was worried that I was grinding his chin. I was pretty close and should have stuck with it, as he said that I was on my way to getting under the chin. I worked from mount for a bit until he hit a great mount escape. After that it was a dose of guard.

I had Blaine in guard and somehow got to mount. I was sloppy with an ezekiel and he reversed. At one point he was going for an arm-bar. I anticipated and fought off the leg coming over my face for awhile. I was able to get some control of my arm while he was trying to get the leg over my face. He went belly down, and I was able to scoot up to his butt and eventually get side-control. 

Jason let me work a bit from guard, including numerous triangle attempts that he annoyingly blocked by not letting me set my foot on his hip. I need to play around with that, b/c it doesn't seem quite necessary that I get my foot on the hip. However, it completely stumped my triangle attempts. He also let me attempt omoplatas, and then when he had enough of that he reversed and started going for some wacky leg-locks. He got one, we reset, and he soon had me in a similar position. I did the opposite of what I did before and was able to defend the attack until the buzzer.

Going to have a private with James on Sunday morning before the advanced class to go over side-control escapes and something else that I haven't decided on yet. I still have one lesson left as part of my Christmas present.

 

No comments: