Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Wednesday

Big class today. Apparently the other black-belt owned gym shut down recently, so we're getting quite a few of his students. 

Today was a series on transitioning to a monoplata and rolling back attack from the half guard pass. We also did banana-splits and calf slicers for fun. 

Rolls with Sarah, Kayla, Jason (p) and Sarah again after class. Enjoyable rolls with Sarah.
A common element to our rolls is that we'll be in the midst of a position and one or both of us will look around to see where all of the legs and arms are to formulate a plan of attack. I think I'm still relying too much on my size to pass her guard instead of technique.


Kayla had me in side-control and I was doing some really wonky stuff to escape. I think it felt wonky b/c she wasn't responding in way that I'm used to, which allowed me to do things that I normally don't. I eventually found myself on her back and came close with an belly down arm-bar but she was able to come over the top. I got a triangle earlier from playing around with spiderguard.

Jason whupped me pretty good. Foot locks, knee bars, etc. He seemed to be experimenting, but I do think I got a semi-legit pass during our roll. I couldn't maintain it for long, but still. I had to bite my tongue from saying something, b/c that probably would have resulted in a swift and unpleasant submission.

No comments: