Friday, May 9, 2014

No Fun Friday

The day did not start off well, as it was a complete shit show at work. We were supposed to move offices (within the same floor), but there were some last minute shenanigans. In sum, I got absolutely nothing done at work before class.

The team is traveling to compete tomorrow, but it was still a pretty sizable class. Around 15 or so. James decided to do takedowns, which didn't help my mood. I was having a difficult time with all aspects of the footwork. I get a defeatist attitude about takedowns, which seems to just reinforce an unpleasant experience. In any case, the technique portion was ok but not great.

Then on to rolling. Ryan, Blaine, Jason (p) and Wayne. All of them had top position for most of the rolls. Wtf. Jason was trying all kinds of gi chokes from top side control and mauling me like he usually does. I'd had enough at this point and just chilled and let him finish the choke that he was going to get anyway. Then he berated me for not being more defensive so that he could transition to another choke. After we reset, he once again got to top side-control and it was stifling. It wasn't interfering with my breathing, but my will was crushed. I tried the bridge-in/shrimp-out escape to no no avail. He then proceeded to coach me through the escape. I know what to do, but with his bulk and tight control, it doesn't work. I need to either try something else or wait for him to move. Which is what I was going to do before he decided to coach me.

So.....two out of three days this week have been pretty crappy. I wish that I wasn't teaching Fundamentals tomorrow, and I'm really not looking forward to running the regular noon class. I think part of it is that I'm feeling pressure that since I'm teaching, I should, you know, not suck at jiu jitsu.

No comments: