Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Wednesday

Hopefully I'm over my moody self. I think some things outside of jiu jitsu were slipping into my mat time, which is no bueno. I strongly considered taking the rest of the week off, but I'm competing in a local tournament on Saturday. I wanted the opportunity to get in some rolls that I could feel good about before competing.

Today was transitioning from side-control to mount, KOB and back-mount. I felt pretty comfortable with all of these. The gift-wrap or "teabag" needs a bit of work. There are wrist-locks everywhere...

Rolls with Jason (b), Ian, Tyrone and Aaron. Jason (b) had me in a couple of really bad spots, but I told myself to chill and work my way out. The hardest was a triangle where I was facing away from him and he had my arm stretched behind me. It was sortof a really high back-mount position. My arm seemed in real danger, but b/c my shoulder was through apparently he couldn't get his hips in the necessary position to arm-bar. I eventually wiggled my way out entirely. Was happy with being able to escape.

Ian was doing this thing where he would pause to think about his next move. It was disarming b/c he stopped completely and would relax his body. I didn't want to take advantage of the lull, but I also didn't want to try to be the great Kreskin in trying to figure out whether the lull was due to thinking or not. We transitioned through quite a few positions, and I had good attempts at triangles and omoplatas.

Tyrone seemed a little off today. I was able to control quite a bit from guard. I had lots of collar chokes, arm-bar, omoplata and triangle attempts. I was happy with how I was transitioning from one to the other.

I try very hard not to use excessive strength with Aaron, b/c he's a skinny dude with very little muscle. I was pussyfooting around a little too much though, and he took advantage with an attempted guillotine. I like seeing how much he's progressed. I ended up on his back with a bow and arrow attempt.

I'm on tap for teaching the Friday morning class since James is traveling with Kayla for her first MMA fight on Friday night. I think I'm going to cover DLR back-take, DLR baby-bolo and then isolating the far arm, sitting up and dumping them to the side. I would do positional sparring, but I don't want to work quite that hard before competing the next day.


No comments: