Sunday, May 4, 2014

Saturday

No Fundamentals class to teach b/c there was a self-defense seminar instead. This worked out well for me, b/c side-control escapes are next on the docket. Skipping a week will give me a chance to work on escapes with James before teaching it next week.

Light turnout for class, and I was the highest belt (aside from James). That rarely happens these days. We went over one of my favorite submission series, arm-bars from KOB. Far-side arm-bar, near-side arm-bar and an s-mount type arm-bar. I'd like to think that I'm smooth on the far-side arm-bar, but I'm still not. Smoother than someone that is new to it, but still not as slick as I'd like. 

Rolls with Sean, Nick, Nando and Mike. Maybe someone else that I'm forgetting. This is the first time that I've rolled with Sean when he was fresh, and it made a difference. He passed my guard and had top side-control, though he wasn't working hard from there. I had his back for awhile but don't think I was able to finish anything.

Nick has really improved over the past month or so, and is doing a good job of not letting someone transition easily to side-control. I was able to complete passes after some work. Getting to mount was much easier, and I worked arm-bars from there. I probably shouldn't have been submitting him, as he's still pretty new.

Nando unsurprisingly got to top position and proceeded to work me over with an attempting gi choke. I was able to fend it off, but was on the defensive the entire time.

I made the mistake of not keeping Mike at bay and he got on top. Dude has about 100lb on me and at one point was just laying on top of me, sprawled out on top side control. I was on my side so wasn't haven't trouble breathing, but I couldn't create space for an escape to save my life. He wasn't doing anything either, as he was pretty gassed and was just holding the position. The other limiting factor is that he is pretty new, so doesn't know much of what to do from top side-control.  

No comments: