Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wednesday

Soooo....I broke down and got a Kindle. It was an amazing deal (over half off) that I couldn't refuse. I feel a bit like a traitor. I took the dog for a walk on the ridge after work, but otherwise shrugged off yard work in favor of messing with the Kindle. I'm going to try out a couple of newspaper subscriptions, including a Brazilian one to help with my Portuguese. 

In other news, my grappling cardio appears to be back. Praise be.

Started off with my favorite sweep from half guard (93 guard). I pulled it off in rolling on Monday, mostly b/c I caught the guy by surprise. Great details to brush up on.

Did some variations, including a knee-bar mid-sweep, coming up to all fours before diving under and a triangle from the all fours position. The triangle felt very slick, but there are a lot of moving parts to it that would take a significant amount of drilling to get smooth.

Speaking of drilling, I noticed a big difference in how I've approached this sweep b/c I've drilled it more than anyone else at the school. It's like the guys who bolo all day long. They can hit it at all will b/c of the muscle memory and subsequent confidence that it builds. I'm having a fair amount of success with the movements that I've focused on during the Sunday classes.

Rolls with Sarah, Savannah, Ryan and Jason (b). I primarily dominated the first three rolls. I had top position on Sarah and eventually got her back. I stayed out of the 50/50 nonsense.

I had top position when rolling with Savannah for most of the roll as well. I had a high mount at one point and went for several attacks and finally settled on an americana. I didn't quite have her noodle arm at the correct angle though and she eventually escaped. 

I was able to get mount on Ryan as well, and threatened a number of submissions. He did a good job of not letting me get a high mount. He escaped and I was working to his back as time ran out.

Jason (b) mauled me as usual. It started off fairly neutral, but he got that damned bottom-of-jacket-lapel grip and it was pretty much over from there. He had a bow and arrow that I defended well until he switched hands and some other tomfoolery and got the choke. 

2 comments:

SavageKitsune said...

Did you know you can borrow library books on your Kindle? :)

Relax On The Mat said...

I'm going to look into that...thanks for letting me know!