Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sunday Afternoon

The private with James was pretty good. Only drawback is that I think we covered too much material, instead of focusing on a four or five things. That was definitely my fault, b/c I got off track at one point and asked him some variations of the side-control escapes that we were working. What if someone does this, what if they do that...etc. I definitely got some help with the crux of what I needed though. There's a couple of ingrained habits that I'm going to need to overcome. One of which is considering bellying down as an option to create space instead of always hipping back. I don't even need to always go completely belly down, just enough to create space to get a knee in. 

I tried some of what I got out of the lesson on Russ and they worked well. Not so much on Jason (p). Bridging into him worked ok, but not so much with hooking his foot, b/c he doesn't leave his foot out. The two arms under sort of worked with Jason, but I don't think my underhook is deep enough.

After the side-control we did a couple of the basic entries into X guard, b/c I was struggling with those on Friday. I didn't do much better today, even though he showed me an even easier way to get into it. Way too many moving pieces for my already addled brain.

Only Jason and Russ showed up for class, so we did 35min of drilling and 30min of rolling. I had a fun roll with James, one of the more entertaining ones that I've had in awhile. I'm not sure exactly what was going on, other than he was trying to get under my body for escapes and sweeps and I was riding it out and probably extending myself too far away from his body. I don't feel like I did all that well in the rolls today, but it is what it is. 

No comments: