Friday, May 16, 2014

Friday

Another pretty good day. James is out of town to corner a fighter (our first female fighter, I think). I opened class with some flow rolling, then went over my favorite DLR back-take. Dennis and Sol were there, so I had each of them show a technique since they're purples and I didn't feel like running the whole class. :p Dennis showed the DLR sweep where you sit-up, control the far-arm and dump them to that side. Sol showed the basic spiderguard sweep from a standing opponent.

Rolls with Dennis, Tyrone and Quito. Super fun roll with Dennis. We transitioned through a bunch of positions and seemed pretty evenly matched. For once, keeping a higher belt's elbow off the mat stopped them from turning into me. I've been trying to use it for awhile now, but they still seem to get on their side. We were in a scramble and I kept his near side elbow elevated while I came up and it worked. Huzzah.

I worked mostly with Tyrone in my guard. I did my usual threatening of submissions. At one point, I transitioned from a hip-bump sweep to a back-take that was pretty slick. I had his back a couple of times.

Quito (I'm guessing on the spelling, it's a nickname and is pronounced 'Wheat-o') got on top and tried to finish a kimura but I wasn't having it. He didn't have me on my side enough to finish, but it was closer than I would have liked. I got to his back a couple of times too.

I feel pretty good about the local comp tomorrow. I'm not expecting more than one or two competitors in my divisions. I signed up for no gi even though I haven't rolled no gi in...months, at least. 

1 comment:

SavageKitsune said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear all about it.