Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wednesday Morning


Instead of doing technique, we did slew of 2min rounds of positional sparring. Mount, back-mount, side-control, half guard and guard. After that it was full rounds of rolling, but to "win" you had to get mount or back-mount.

I was feeling ok to start, but either I'm still rusty, or my lungs are inhibiting me more than I realized, or my jiu jitsu isn't that great. Although, the areas that I was having problems with are in the same areas that I usually have problems (maintaining top control and escape side-control). My side-control escapes are godawful. As much time as I've spent there, I'd expect that it would be better. My next private with James is going to be side-control escapes.

White belts with less than six months experience were able to escape my mount and keep me from passing top half guard. That was dispiriting. Especially when I was getting swept.

I was having several moments during the later rolls when I had to catch my breath, especially when I rolled with big purple belt Jason and Sol back-to-back. They were both putting down considerable side-control pressure. Ugh. I know that I'm going to get my cardio back, but it's hard to be patient. At least I didn't have to tap b/c I couldn't catch my breath today. Progress.


No comments: