Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday Advanced Class

I was really looking forward to this, as it's been a month since I've done an advanced class. However, a few rotations in and I was already feeling tired. I was drilling primarily side-control escapes at a pretty good clip. Being under good-sized guys will probably tucker you fairly quickly. Jason (p) gave me a very helpful tip on the basic bridge up and slide the knee in escape. I haven't been shrimping back after bridging into them, which is one of the reasons why I've been failing so miserably at that escape. Can't believe that I've missed that basic element.

I also drilled defending the knee cut pass. I'm really not a fan of getting both arms under and bellying down as they complete the pass. I can do it, but there just seems like a lot of room for error. I was going to throw in a DLR pass but never got there. 

Rolled with Manny twice, Kelly, Kasey and Russ. Had fun rolls with Manny. I could tell that he was trying to work different techniques, including 50/50, so it took our roll out of the norm. 

Kelly was trying to do some bottom lapel control Keenan style, but he didn't have it quite right and I was able to thwart him. He did get my back at one point, but otherwise it was a pretty good roll for me. 

Kasey is a biiiig dude, probably 220lb+ and strong as an ox. He's a 3 or 4 stripe purple. It's the first time I rolled with him, and he prefaced the roll by saying that he doesn't smash or spaz. That was a relief to hear. In fact, he let me have top position and I worked from mount and top side control for most of the roll. He escaped and at several points looked like he was going for foot locks, which would have been super scary coming from him.

Russ was trying to work some new stuff too, but I knew what was coming and countered pretty successfully. I even got pretty close to his back at one point.

Overall, I think this is the best day of rolling since I've been back. It was partly due to guys trying new things and letting me work, but I was still doing enough of the right things for me to feel good about how I did.

No comments: