Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Back on the Mats

Last night I decided to do a light lift session and pull-ups to see how my body would fair with a bit of exertion. It felt ok, but taking a deep breath and holding it for the squats wasn't much fun. There's still a fair amount of crap in my lungs. I was worried about how it would go in class tonight. I was terrified that I'd have a massive coughing fit over someone.

Fortunately, I coughed very little and managed to do it when no one was in my space. Big class tonight, probably over 20 people. Several new guys that I didn't recognize that must have joined since I've been gone. The team was great and really made me feel welcomed back. 

I was going to sit out the warm-ups if they involved running or any significant movement, but it was just a lot of pummeling so I figured I could handle that. I took a couple of hits from my inhaler at the last second because just by doing my own warm-up and stretching I was feeling like coughing fits would be imminent. The pummeling went fine, although it winded me more than usual. Also, the albuterol makes me super jittery. We did some sprawls and wrestling shots which took easy b/c it was wearing me out. Stretched after that and then technique.

Did some movements from seated mount when your opponent is trying to pass or dive in and stall. I was rusty but cut myself some slack. Worked with Rachael who was patient and tried to take it easy on movements that required pressure on my legs, like a sweep that resulted in mount. 

After technique, James lined everyone up for KOTH. Initially I thought there's no way I was going to participate, but Rachael was one of the first ones down and said that we could go. I knew it wasn't going to be a flow roll, but that she wasn't going to spaz out on me either. I spent a fair amount of time trying to unsuccessfully pass her guard. She eventually got a top position, then passed my guard with a knee slice (apparently she's picking up bad habits from Savannah). She had north/south for awhile, then I escaped but ended up in a triangle in her guard that she eventually finished. It was probably a less than 10min roll, but it felt like forever. I had to take small pauses where I was in a position to do so, but otherwise it went much better than I anticipated. I wasn't dying after the roll and didn't end up rolling again. I did feel incredibly rusty, but I have to trust that I'll get my groove back in a couple of weeks.

After class I practiced some mount escapes in preparation for the basics class that I'm going to be teaching on Saturday.



No comments: