Saturday, April 19, 2014

First Fundamentals Class and Saturday Class

I pulled up to the gym today, a bit nervous about teaching. As I drove around the corner to park, I noticed at least 20 people standing outside. My first thought was that I was late. The second thought was "oh crap, this is going to be a HUGE class". It turns out the record store that's a couple of doors down was having a sale, and everyone was in line for that. Phew.

I did have 12ppl, including two blue belts. Sean is new to our gym, but has been training at the other gym for awhile and is a 3 or 4 stripe blue. Rachael was there with her husband. He was taking the class and she was along for the ride. It was perfect, as I was able to use someone I was comfortable with as the demo dummy. 

Other than that, it was all white belts and most of them were pretty new.

I had planned on going over three mount escapes, but only got to the first two. That was fine by me, because the third was where you hip up, lock your arms and get them into a butterfly guard. I've never been a particularly big fan of that one, and wasn't too sad when it got left behind. 

I went into pretty in depth detail on the trap and roll and elbow escapes, with a couple variations of each. I showed everything at least 3-4 times. I walked around and tried to watch everyone while they were drilling. There were times when I definitely over-corrected people, but I tried to keep it to a minimum. It's a fine line between providing detail to do it correctly and providing too much detail where people probably just get confused.

Overall, I'm really happy with how the class went. 

A half hour break, and then the Saturday class. We had 25 people, which is a pretty big turnout. James decided to make the entire class KOTH. For awhile the losers had to stay down, and then after 45min the winners had to stay down. Back-mount or submission counted as a win. I had pretty long rolls for the most part. I'm still getting back into my rhythm and I'm trying to convince my lungs that everything is ok. I eventually got to back-mount on a couple of people. Nando got me with a choke. I rolled with a big white belt guy (Mike) and when he got on top I was very sad. He wasn't deliberately trying to crush me, but there were a couple of times when my lungs protested. I think I eventually got his back and a RNC. I had two rolls with Sarah. The first one I was having problems breathing and tapped due to that. The second time I got a RNC. Also rolled with white belt Joe, and after awhile I had to tap due to breathing again. I wasn't in any sort of respiratory distress, but I couldn't get my respiratory rate down mid-roll like usual and it seemed like backing off was the smart thing to do. 

Sadly, when rolling with Russ, Rachael felt a pop in her knee and is pretty sure it was her ACL. That is going to be a huge bummer if she's going to be out for awhile. :(  We had just been talking this morning about doing Master's Worlds this fall.  

No comments: