Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Day Before

That wasn't fun at all. As best I can tell, I had bronchitis followed by full-blown pneumonia. The pneumonia went undiagnosed the first time I visited a doctor, which resulted in me getting pretty damned sick. I went to the doc for a second time b/c breathing was starting to become an issue (shallow, increased rate, extreme fatigue).

I'm 8 days out from antibiotics and feeling pretty close to normal. No nebulizer and no inhaler necessary today (which is good, b/c I ran out of the meds for the nebulizer yesterday). I get winded quicker than normal, but O2 intake is no longer an issue and coughing is minimal. 

I have never been so unwell in my life. I was out of the office (and off the mats) for 3 weeks. I had to talk myself into doing basic things like going to the bathroom. I was just getting through each day, unable to focus on anything other than how crappy I felt. I had raging headaches for a portion of that time and spent a week or two unable to sleep much due to a cough that codeine syrup couldn't touch. My appetite was non-existent and I lost 5-10lb. I got an idea of how miserable COPD must be and hope that I never experience something like that again. 

That said, I'm going to go to class tomorrow night. Goal is to just get through technique. If I'm feeling good, I might try to flow roll. I told James that I'd be up for teaching the basics class on Saturday. 

A pretty aggressive return, but I am DONE with sitting on the couch.

My jiu jitsu friends were really supportive, offering to shop for me and bring me books (sadly, I couldn't even focus on reading). One person even offered to do yardwork, which was an awesome gesture. 

No comments: