Monday, April 28, 2014

Monday

It occurred to me that since James is competing in May, that the uptick in warm-ups is probably competition training. Today we did two minute rounds of knee-cut through pass, sprawl, knee-cut through pass, etc. Got a little gassed toward the end but overall was pretty happy with my cardio. Especially since I didn't sleep well last night due to a fussy dog.

We did half guard passes. First was defending the lock-down and proceeding with a knee slice pass. After that it was passing the knee shield by breaking their feet apart (if they're together), sprawling back and then moving to side-control. Last was transitioning to a kimura or arm-bar if you're able to suck them into you while they're on their side.

Rolls with Sarah, Dennis, Julio and Sean. 

Fun roll with Sarah. Lots of 50/50, and lots of me doing 50/50 way wrong. I keep getting confused as to which side I want my leg and which side I want their leg. The confusion usually clears up when Sarah initiates a pass. :(

Seems like I haven't rolled with Dennis in quite awhile. We had a competitive roll, and I passed his guard not once but TWICE. We had quite a few sweeps and passes between the two of us. I had him worried about a loop choke at one point, but I only had half guard and couldn't quite get the angle that I needed.

Julio stayed heavy, but worked from both top position and from within my guard. He gave me a great tip for when I'm trying for an arm-bar and my opponent is low and trying to suck everything in. Do a sortof flower sweep over to the side that you're attacking.

Sean is great for me to roll with b/c he's about my size and skill level. We have fairly even battles. I was able to pull off my half guard sweep that I've tried but haven't completed since I was sick. He promptly got me into an inverted triangle, but he has the same problem that I do of not being able to finish it. We had a good back-and-forth roll.

Invariably, since I wore my white gi for the first time in months, someone bled on it. :(

No comments: